Saturday, April 2, 2011

Olneyville New York System-RI

Olneyville NY System
20 Plainfield St
Providence, RI 02909

As seen on
-The Best Thing I Ever Ate
-ChowDown Countdown
-Man Vs Food
-Bizarre Foods

Allow me to shout it from the rooftops: I LOVE TUBULAR MEAT! The typical Texas wiener eater wouldn't really think about how they change region to region. But dig alittle deeper and you find out that different parts of the country have their own traditions and hot dog styles. Its quite strange how different these dogs can be from area to area. The NY coney, Carolina slaw dogs, Chicago style with pickles and tomato's, NJ deep fried, Michigan with spaghetti sauce, or even weirder are the Troy NY mini dogs. Well some where down the line some people from NY moved to Providence Rhode Island and opened a hotdog place called
Olneyville New York System. These are the closet dogs I have found to Dallas in Kingston. The sauce is less spicy and more salty but really close. The RI hodog is a shorter (4in) and fatter dog then we are used to in NY and they garnish with meat sauce, onions, and celery salt. The sauce is much more of a ground beef then you would be familiar with in the NY-NJ area. These hot dog shops are typically called Greek or owned by people of Greek decent which I didn't get at first but I found out the typical meat sauce found on a Texas wiener is based on Greek Tomato sauce. Texas hots as we know them were majorly influenced by the Greeks a 100yrs ago, I never would have thought.
These dogs were really good. I would love to go back. I will admit it, Olneyville's wieners are not my personal favorites I actually prefer Dallas locally for a Texas style dog. You cant mess with history and this place has a ton. They have a huge Rhode Island following that will keep this place in the history books as the King of Rhode Island Dogs!

No comments:

Post a Comment