Sunday, March 11, 2012

Otafuku-NYC

Otafuku
236 E 9th St
New York, NY 10003

As seen on
-Log On & Eat 
 
This place is the only Takoyaki shop in NYC. Japanese Takoyaki (Octopus Balls) is a made to order fried ball of creamy herbs and octopus made into a corn type fritter. Traditional Japanese street food, I have had these before at Mitsuwa (giant Asian market) in NJ. I actually went here because I heard they were the only place in NYC that offered Taiyaki which they didn't have. This was by far the smallest store/restaurant/food stall I have ever seen. When I got there I had to wait for the 2 people in the store to leave before I could actually get inside to order. The octopus balls are covered in a teriyaki type sauce and bonito flakes. The balls themselves were amazing but I have come to find out I cant stand bonito flakes. They are just dried fish and are way to smokey fishy for me. I would definitely go back and order the octopus without the flake and see if they got taiyaki yet. If you have ever wanted truly authentic Japanese street food Otafuku has what you need.

No comments:

Post a Comment