Sunday, April 1, 2012

Ess-A-Bagel-NYC

Ess-A-Bagel
831 3rd Ave
New York, NY 10022

As seen on
-The Layover
 
I'm slowly trying all the classic NYC bagel joints one by one. This time around Ess-A-Bagel. Ive heard great things about Ess-A and after seeing them mentioned on Anthony Bourdain's new show they were the obvious choice. I've already had H&H, Tal, and Murray's. My father said this place has the best Lox he has ever had and he's had alot of lox. I judge all bagel places on my staple, an everything bagel with scallion/chive cream cheese. Got here Saturday around noon and this place had a line 20 people deep. I got my go to and my wife got a wild card of a bagel. Cinnamon raisin with banana walnut cream cheese. They had alot of awesome choices of cream cheeses and cured fish like sturgeon, lox, or nova. We walked to a park to indulge. At first bite disappointment set in. My bagel was stale and old and gross. I asked my wife how hers was and she said it was great. So I tried hers and her bagel was totally different. Crusty on the outside and gooey on the inside just like a perfect NY bagel. Mine was definitely at least day old. How the hell does this happen in a place with such high turn over. ARRRGGHHH! My bagel was actually bad. So They loose points for their bagels not being consistent.  I would go back to try the lox but otherwise i'd go somewhere that rotates their old bagels and gets rid of them. It's unfortunate because they might be the best bagels in NY i just got shafted.

1 comment:

  1. That's too bad! I love Ess-a-Bagel. I do always ask what's hot or just came out the oven. That's the best way to ensure a perfect bagel. I did a recent bagel search on my blog hitting all the classic NY places. Check it out:

    http://www.eatthisny.com/ebagel/round-em-up-rankings/

    ReplyDelete