Saturday, May 7, 2011

First Prize Mike's-NY

First Prize Mike's
1135 Erie Blvd
Schenectady, NY 12305


As seen on
-No shows

Getting a tip from a local friend, I hurried over to Mike's to continue my Capital area hotdog exploration. Serving up doggies for over 50 years Mike's wreaks of nostalgia. Mike's has the longest counter of any hotdog stand I've been to. Super old and unchanged by time, Mike's prices are cheap to. Dogs were some of the better I have had and the fries were obviously fresh cut and fried well. Sausage burger wasn't as good as Gus's but solid sandwich for $2.25. The deeper I get into the NY hotdog scene the more I can see that upstate NY stands apart from the rest of the country. Every town from Manhattan to north of Albany has its own little hotdog stand that hasn't changed in 50yrs. No where else in the country does this exist. We take it for granted. Every place has its own sauce that is alittle different then the next. It seems what we prefer is what we grew up on. Everyone thinks their towns sauce is the best. Ive been to almost every hotdog place around and I prefer Dallas in Kingston. The only explanation I can think of is it's because that's what I grew up on and I'm used to. The hodogs we ate as a child are what a hot dog is suppose to taste like.

No comments:

Post a Comment