Thursday, December 30, 2010

Russ & Daughters-NYC

Russ & Daughters
179 E Houston St
New YorkNY 10002



As seen on
-The Best Thing I Ever Ate
-Anthony Bourdain's 13 Places to eat before you die
-Bizzare Foods


Russ and Daughters is almost a century old (est.1914) and has been featured in countless television shows as being one of the best Jewish shops in the country. Their claim to fame is their huge selection of smoked fish and extremely knowledgeable and friendly staff but they also have a selection of grocery items, homemade desserts, and chocolates. They have a great variety of smoked salmon: Graspe Nova, Western Nova, Irish Organic, Scottish, Norwegian, Pastrami Cured, Gravlax. Other than smoked salmon they have a lot of different herring products as well.
This is an old school Jewish deli that makes you feel like you've stepped back into time. It's right near Katz's Delicatessen. The selection and quality of the lox here is incredible. We sampled a few and chose the Gaspe Nova(as seen on The Best Thing I Ever Ate). Unfortunately, our bagel was kind of hard and dry, which definitely wasn't worthy of the amazing lox. If I lived in NYC, I would just buy the lox and have it with a fresh bagel and cream cheese from my favorite neighborhood bagel shop. I've loved smoked Salmon for all my life, and this is the absolute best I've ever had. Period

No comments:

Post a Comment